10 surefire ways to recover Windows when it crashes
Sudden failures in the operating system Windows is able to spoil the mood and pretty Pat nerves of anyone. Most often this happens either due to incorrect actions of the user or due to some software conflicts. Usually in such cases I advise to reinstall your OS from scratch, but we recommend not to panic and not to rush into hasty decisions in the form of a “blue screen of death” (eng. The Blue Screen of Death, BSoD). The probability that these instructions will help to revive a Windows machine without radical solutions like re-installation of the system.
The first thing you need to make sure that the problem is a hardware and software nature. In other words, you need to “test the waters” and to eliminate possible malfunctions in the hardware of the computer. You can do this by using applications for testing and diagnostics of PC, such as AIDA64, Memtest86+, HWiNFO, Victoria, Hard Disk Sentinel and built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool utility (mdsched.exe). Through these tools you can verify the key components of computer — memory modules, graphics card, drives, cooling systems and other components and to dismiss the problem with “iron”. For completeness, you can use a USB drive with a configured environment with Windows To Go operating, regardless of your computer operating system and allows to draw certain conclusions about the problems. How to create a bootable USB flash drive, we told earlier.
When you realize that it is really in software and installed on your computer OS, you need to determine the direction and scope of work. This can be done by using the Windows event log, which records all the errors of the system modules, services and applications. As a rule, this tool allows you to accurately understand what went wrong and try to fix it.
If you are in the event log information is not sufficient for understanding causal relationships and the adoption of strategies to restore Windows, then we recommend the following procedure.
1. Do a rollback made to the system changes by using system restore point. Each time you install new drivers or received through the Windows Update service updates the OS automatically creates a restore point with backup of key system files. Such recovery points can be used to undo unwanted changes to Windows and return to the previous state. In most cases, this protection technology is really helping to revive the computer and get rid encountered in the OS errors.
To access the created Windows restore point you can use the key combination “Win+R”, enter in the command line Sysdm.cpl and press Enter. In the opened window you will need to switch to the tab “system Protection”, click “Restore” and then follow the instructions for your operating system.
2. Check your PC for malicious software. To solve this problem, it is best to use the boot disks anti-virus emergency aid, which many well-known developers of it security solutions offer for free (see our review of such disks). Such tools can not only clean your computer from malware and suspicious files but also copy important information to removable media or another computer. In addition, it can be effective in cases where due to the actions of malicious programs on Windows will no longer boot. Almost all of the drives anti-virus aid presented in the format of ISO images using the free Rufus utility can be written as CD/DVD or on a flash drive.
3. Remove from startup is obviously suspicious and unwanted software. If the antivirus check shows that the computer is clean, and the system continues to fail, it is possible that the root of the problem lies in automatically starting when starting Windows applications. Practice shows that in the startup without asking the user to register like all sorts of scripts, the Updater, the launchers and other programs of dubious value that can safely be deleted from the list starting when you log in. This can be done with the help of Windows task Manager.
4. Analyze what software was used at the time of failure. Using the free utility, LastActivityView can see when in Windows run certain apps and system libraries. If we Compare the data obtained with time, resulting in the OS problems will not be difficult to create a list of programs that can potentially cause unstable operation of the computer.
5. Rid of recently installed software. Special attention to antivirus solutions, utilities to configure the graphics processor and the disk, and other products that use low-level access to the system and may interfere with other applications. Shoot from the shoulder and swoop remove all of the programs in this case is not necessary — here important a thorough and consistent approach.
6. Restart Windows in diagnostic mode. This mode of operation of the platform can be useful for the treatment of deep “embedded” in the OS applications do not remove them in normal Windows startup does not work — the system blocks. In diagnostic mode loading only the basic drivers and services, and all background processes are disabled. To run Windows in this configuration you have to press “Win+R”, enter msconfig and in the window that opens select “Diagnostic startup”.
7. Check and restore protected system files in Windows. To do this, open the console with administrative rights and use the System File Checker utility (sfc.exe) you want to run with the /scannow. The program will scan system files and also libraries and the key system components for integrity — and in the case of damage replace them with a cached copy in the directory WindowsSystem32dllcache. If the desired file in the specified folder does not exist, the user will be prompted to insert the disk with the Windows distribution and restore the file from there.
8. Diagnose the system for installed drivers. Often unstable Windows drivers are problematic — in this case, to find the root of problems by using part of the OS utility Driver Verifier (verifier.exe). This program allows you to detect conflicts, driver, to obtain information about unsigned and require additional verification drivers. Driver Verifier is a rather complex diagnostic tool is the professional level, and before working with him are urged to read the published Microsoft documentation, revealing all the technical details and features utility.
9. Check computer for updates the device drivers. The easiest way to try to solve problems with the drivers — to install their new version. You can do this by using specialized applications that scan the PC hardware and automatically looking for fresh drivers. Such programs may include, for example, or DriverHub Driver Booster. You can also resort to proprietary tools to update drivers, which are in the Arsenal of many well — known companies, computer hardware manufacturers such as Intel, AMD, NVIDIA and others.
10. Analyze crash dumps Windows memory. In the case of a critical error the OS automatically saves to disk the dump files with the extension .dmp. A careful study of these files and they contain technical information allows you to accurately determine the cause of the BSOD. Since manual analysis of dumps — quite a laborious process, it is best in such cases to trust utilities or MiniDumper BlueScreenView. Both programs support command-line and very effective in search for sources of Windows crashes.
I hope these tips will help those who encounter problems with the computer.
Well, in the end the issue is once again reminded of the importance of backing up data, create disk images of the operating system and file archives. In the Windows control panel has all the necessary tools, and if they regularly use, it will save you from various troubles that may happen with computers.